Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The secret is patience???

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Somewhere during my teenage years I decided that patience would be a virtue I really wanted to have in my life. Not sure where it came from - maybe some inspiring seminary lesson somewhere along the way or something, but I've always really, really, wanted to be a patient person. So.... I have always prayed for patience. (You can take this as a warning if you want). Ironically, most of my life I have felt like an impatient person and if you were to ask my kids, they would most likely not argue with that point. But how do you know if you are a patient person if your patience isn't challenged? Granted, life has given me that challenge from time to time. Sometimes I've passed, and others I've failed miserably. Through it all, I've learned and grown and even if my patience has increased, there's many times I wish I had never prayed for patience at all!

Today when Libby, Reed and I went for my pick me up fluids and nausea meds (I.V.), It was one of those days when I wished I didn't have to learn patience...again. I used to think once you learned it, you always had it...not true. Again, from the wise words of Ralph Waldo Emerson I must adopt patience into my life. Today the nurse told me not to work in my yard or my garden and I realized it was okay...my garden is patient. It's had to be and it will be fine. Unlike myself, it's nature is to be patient and together, my garden and I, we will get through this pace of life together. Maybe I'll finally learn that secret...maybe....for now.

I cannot end this entry without letting all of you know how much I have felt the strength of your prayers. Thank you for your cards, your messages, your blog posts, calls, visits, meals, treats, gifts and thoughts. My heart is poured out in gratitude for each of you. Your goodness has been one of the greatest blessings in my life and that of our family. Simply but sincerely, thank you, thank you, thank you.

7 comments:

  1. Your garden is verdent and colorful and absolutely beautiful. Even now, this year, when your hands cannot push into the earth. It has become a habit for that spot of ground, and the nurture you have given it previously continues to bear fruit.
    Your spirit is the same, all colorful and fruitful, in spite of the stripping of the earthly portion. You remain beautiful. Tested...but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In one of the recent Ensigns, I think it was the June issue, there was a very meaningful and helpful article on "hope". I believe the title was something like "The Third Sister, Hope". It contains some good verses and perspective on how patience and experiences bring us hope in our lives. It is worth the read ( just in case you missed that one). We have had some very challenging things going on at home lately, and I have a newly strengthened testimony of how constant prayer, and patience, and hope have finally lead to peace in the midst of turnmoil and chaos. We are all learning, all growing, all trying to do what Cori taught me when serving in the jail: aspire to become the type of person who will feel comfortable in the presence of our Heavenly Father when we cross the veil. Are we receiving His image in our countenance-- I know you are, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    Thank you for who you are. You will not know from your perspective what you are giving to others, myself included. But you are giving non-the-less. May your times of darkness be filled with light, the light that lifts us aboue the muck and the grim. The light of our Savior who felt everything you are going through.
    love ya
    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. my goodness. i cried again. cindy, you're amazing. thank you for this patience reminder. i hope all is well. i love you.

    emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are truly an inspiration. May you have continued patience and strength. Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, we love you and still pray for you and your family every day. I never noticed you weren't a patient person - from my point of view that's always seemed like one of your strengths! Thank you for being such an inspiration to me and for being such a an amazing woman. Can't wait to see you again - hopefully in January.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy,
    We send our love and prayers and know there are better days ahead. You are loved so very much. You may not be able to work in your garden right now but maybe you can still listen and smell the beauty that is there. It's healing to the soul. We love you.

    ReplyDelete